Hair loss can present itself in several ways and affect men and women alike. Receding hairlines and bald patches as a result of androgenetic alopecia are perhaps the most common, but there are other forms of hair loss as well. Another common form of hair loss is diffuse thinning where the hair loss is spread out—more or less—evenly across the entire scalp.
Instead of only affecting particular areas, diffuse thinning can give all of your hair a thin, “see-through” look. Diffuse thinning can have several potential causes, from male pattern baldness to more serious medical conditions that can lead to temporary hair shedding.
Diffuse hair loss causes hair loss across all areas of your scalp, leaving it thin and low-density. The most common cause of hair loss in men (male pattern baldness) typically presents itself as a receding hairline or bald spot on the crown of the scalp. However, diffuse hair loss tends to affect the entire scalp without leading to a clearly receding hairline or other distinct patterns.
What causes diffuse hair loss?
There are several potential causes for diffuse hair shedding, some of the most common include:
- Telogen effluvium: Perhaps the most common cause of diffuse hair shedding, telogen effluvium occurs when a large percentage of the hairs on your scalp prematurely enter the telogen, or resting, phase of the hair growth cycle. This causes the hair to stop growing and fall out. This is typically a temporary condition.
- Male pattern baldness: Male pattern baldness often leads to a receding hairline, balding at the crown, and/or diffuse hair loss. Unlike telogen effluvium, hair loss from male pattern baldness is genetic and likely permanent.
- Alopecia areata incognita: This is a form of hair loss that can cause sudden diffuse shedding. It typically develops over only a few weeks and is often misdiagnosed as telogen effluvium or male pattern baldness.
- Diffuse alopecia areata: This form of hair loss is very similar to alopecia areata incognita but occurs over a longer period. It also leads to diffuse thinning that can affect the entire scalp.
- Anagen effluvium. Anagen effluvium is a form of hair loss that commonly develops as a result of certain medications or chemicals, including medications used as part of chemotherapy.
What Can I Do About Diffuse Hair Loss?
The best course of action for diffuse hair loss depends on the cause of it. If your hair loss is caused by telogen effluvium, a change in lifestyle and some patience may be all that is necessary. If, however, your hair loss is more permanent, you may need to consider medical solutions.
- Minoxidil: Topical minoxidil is an effective over-the-counter treatment for hair loss in men and women. Minoxidil works by causing the hair follicles to enter the anagen—or growth—phase. It must be used daily to retain results.
- Finasteride: Finasteride is a prescription-only medication that is very effective in treating certain types of hair loss. If your hair loss is caused by high levels of DHT (the key hormone that drives hair loss), then Finasteride may be a good choice for you.
- Diet: Products high in b-vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, or biotin can all contribute to a healthy head of hair.
Can I Get a Hair Transplant If I Have Diffuse Hair Loss?
Hair transplants are the only permanent solution to hair loss and have helped millions of men and women over the last few decades. However, not every patient is an ideal candidate for a hair transplant in Istanbul procedure. Hair transplants work by removing healthy hair follicles from a donor area and implanting them into the balding areas on the scalp. For this to work, a patient must have a large enough area of dense hair to pull from.
If a patient does not have an area where the remaining hair is dense enough, the surgeon may not be able to create an even look in the final result. The only way to know if you’re a candidate is to schedule a full, free consultation with one of our hair transplant experts.
The Dr Serkan Aygin Clinic is home to a world-renowned team of hair restoration surgeons and Dr Aygin himself has treated more than 15,000 patients over the course of his 25-year career. In that time, he has achieved an astounding 98% hair regrowth rate. Our clinic features the most modern equipment and we specialize in both sapphire FUE and DHI hair transplants. Contact us today to schedule your free consultation.