It is safe to begin shampooing again after three days, though great care must be taken. It is important not to disturb the transplant site for the first 72 hours following your hair transplant surgery. The newly transplanted hair follicles have not yet fully anchored into the scalp during this crucial healing time and there is a risk of dislodging them.
During your follow-up appointment on the day after your procedure, your hair transplant surgeon will go over the process of washing your hair in great detail. You will also be provided with special medicated shampoo for your use.
How Do I Shampoo After A Hair Transplant?
DO NOT TOUCH the transplant site for the first three days. Afterward, please follow the below guidelines for your first wash.
Step 1: Apply Lotion
Apply the lotion to both the donor and recipient areas. Use a few drops at a time and gently tap it into the transplant site. Give the lotion about an hour to absorb into the skin. Take care to apply the lotion along the same lines as the implanted grafts to help avoid any damage.
Step 2: Apply Shampoo
After one hour, it is time to clean the transplant area. Using the provided shampoo, rub it between your hands to create a foam and gently place the foam over the transplant area without any rubbing motions. Allow the shampoo to sit for 2-3 minutes before carefully rinsing it off.
Step 3: Rinsing
Avoid using water that is too hot or water that is pressurised. The best thing to do is to fill a bowl with warm – not hot – water and to gently and slowly pour it over your scalp.
Step 4: Drying
Do not use a towel as this will likely stick to hairs and pull them out. Instead, use a hairdryer on a low, cool setting from a moderate distance.
What Kinds Of Shampoo Should I Use?
We will provide you with a special medicated shampoo that we recommend you use for the first few weeks following your hair transplant surgery. Once the newly transplanted hair follicles have taken root in the scalp (approximately 1 month), you may return to a normal hair care routine. With that said, we do recommend that patients consider a shampoo that contains biotin, as this has been shown to help with hair health and strength.
Additionally, patients may wish to consider using baby shampoo as these are far gentler than most products. It is generally advised to avoid hair care products that contain alcohol, phosphates, or sulfates as these can all cause damage to the hair shaft.
Tips For Caring For Transplanted Hair
In the days and weeks following your procedure, it is advised to take a few simple precautions. Doing the following will greatly improve the chances of a successful outcome.
- Avoid direct sunlight
- Sunlight (or other strong UV lights) can damage the transplant area and dry it out
- Avoid sweating or strenuous activity
- Sweat risks causing an infection of the new hair grafts
- Avoid pools or seawater
- Saltwater and chlorine will both dry out the scalp and risk infections
- Do not touch, rub, or scratch the transplant area
- For the first few weeks, the new hairs are still loose in the scalp and can be easily dislodged
- Wear loose-collared shirts and a loose hat (fisherman’s hat)
- Avoid pulling clothes over your scalp as much as possible
- Keep your head elevated while sleeping, if possible
- Blood pooling at the transplant site can lead to damage. If you have a recliner, this is a great choice for the first week
All-Inclusive Packages At The Dr Serkan Aygin Clinic
At the Dr Serkan Aygin Clinic in Istanbul, all of our hair transplant packages are all-inclusive. This means that, in addition to your transplant, you also receive the following:
- 3-nights’ stay in one of Istanbul’s top 4-star hotels
- Transportation between the airport, your hotel, and our clinic
- A one-on-one consultation with Dr Atgin
- A comprehensive follow-up exam the next day
- All recommended medications and instructions for their use
- A lifetime satisfaction guarantee
A hair transplant in turkey represent the only truly permanent solution to hair loss. Dr Aygin has assisted more than 15,000 clients over his 25-year career and has achieved a hair regrowth rate of 98%. Contact us today to schedule your full, free consultation.